What is intercultural competence?
Intercultural competence is a key working life skill in our highly networked world. Coaches, trainers, teachers and other instructors have daily encounters with diverse groups: young people from all around the world and varying socio-economic backgrounds. To ensure a culturally sensitive approach and inclusive groups, instructors need training and practice in intercultural competence.
In ICY, intercultural competence is defined through Deardorff’s studies (2006) in interculturality. The competence can be divided in three categories:
- Knowledge: self-awareness, knowledge of other cultures and current global issues, and socio-linguistic awareness
- Skills: listening, observing, evaluating, empathy
- Attitudes: respect, openness and discovery, curiosity
Throughout the project, we will keep these elements in mind aiming to develop all aspects of Intercultural Competence.
YOUTH VIRTUAL EXCHANGES FOR THE PROTECTION OF THE ECOSYSTEM
A web platform (Moodle) where the partner organizations will provide materials and direct the teachings for the teachers or youth workers through which the student will achieve knowledge about the ecosystems, to make them able to answer questions like:
- What is an ecosystem, and which are the components?
- Which could be different ecosystems?
- Which are the processes that regulate the ecosystems?
The goal is to analyze later how human beings take part in the ecosystem and affect it.
The virtual exchange will be followed by a Youth Exchange where the participant will apply some of the knowledge achieved in the real-life through workshops, teamwork, everyday life problems solving.
The aims are referred to two different target groups, first, one of the teachers who will take part in the virtual exchange and the aims are:
- To give them the chance to work in an international environment thanks to which they will learn from other cultures and they will develop new skills (language, adapting, distance teamwork, intercultural communication).
- To make them work in a virtual platform thanks to which they will achieve new digital competences and they will facilitate the learning of students in non-traditional technology-based learning environments.
Regarding the students the aims are:
- To give them more information about ecosystems and the environment and to know more about the earth where they live on.
- Analyzing how human beings participate in the ecosystems regulation they will understand why all of us should balance himself and which are good practices.
- Thanks to this multidisciplinary and holistic vision they will understand how things, in general, are closely related and interdependent.
- Encouraging intercultural dialogue using technologies
- Promoting Virtual Exchanges to benefit intercultural and international experiences more easily.
- To develop skills like intercultural communication, teamworking, adaptability, organization.
- To gain a greater awareness of oneself and the role that we have on this planet.
- To explore and understand the skills, knowledge and attitude of act as part of our ecosystem, taking care of it.
- To follow a range of recognition pathways
- To explore the opportunities for realising their potential through Erasmus+